The Medicare Hospice Benefit
We encourage patients to continue to receive care from their primary physician. The following services are covered under the Medicare Hospice Benefit:
- Registered nurses available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Home health aide
- Medical equipment (e.g., wheelchair, hospital bed) and medical supplies (e.g., catheters, bandages) necessary for management of the terminal illness
- Drugs for symptom control and pain management related to the terminal illness
- Social worker services, to assist patients and family members with the emotional and psychosocial aspects of dying
- Chaplain services
- Volunteer services
- Physician services provided by the hospice physician for the medical direction of the patient's care
- Grief and loss counseling to surviving family and friends
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy as indicated in the patient's plan of care
- Nutrition counseling
Note that the Medicare Hospice Benefit does not cover services, medications and treatments for conditions not related to the terminal illness.
Click here for more information about the Medicare Hospice Benefit as it relates to levels of care.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE HOSPICE PAYMENT SYSTEM.